Saturday, February 22, 2020

Volunteering... And Zombies! by Jillian Law


Volunteering... And Zombies! by Jillian Law

“Jackson, you’re late,” Ms. Lynsky said, her face set in its permanent scowl. I ignored her. It wasn’t like I was late to class or anything. We were just volunteering.



I took my place next to Rizzo and Connie, only pumping into three people as I weaved through the crowd. Rizzo laughed while Connie rolled her eyes. She was annoyed, I could tell. I couldn’t really blame her. She called me three times this morning to make sure I was awake, and I ignored all the calls until my mom shouted that I absolutely had to leave to get to school on time for the volunteer trip.



“I think Ms. Lysnky is going to kill you in your sleep,” Rizzo whispered to me.



“Or worse, fail you,” Connie added.



“Okay, Hermione Granger.”



Before Connie could reply, I held my hand out. “Guys,” I said, wanting an end to the bickering. As much as I loved Connie and Rizzo, had been their best friend since we were eight, I was sick of their constant fighting. “Remind me why we’re doing this again.”



“Our moms are making us.” “It will look great on our college applications.” Rizzo and Connie answered at the same time. I couldn’t help but laugh.



Ms. Jackson, finally realizing that all the students who would sacrifice sleep on a Saturday morning, ushered us all onto the bus and out of the rain. I sat next to Rizzo while Connie sat with Angela Morris, a girl I had dated last year. I avoided her glare. I wasn’t good at breakups..



We talked and laughed. To us, it was just a normal Saturday spent beefing up our college applications. We were just supposed to go and volunteer downtown. We didn’t know about the virus. We didn’t know that, within hours, half of our classmates would be zombies we have to kill. And honestly, we wouldn’t have believed you if you told us.

No comments:

Post a Comment